Who can get help

If you've experienced sexual abuse or assault, there's help available for you, your family and your whānau.

Anyone in New Zealand can get help

Anyone who has experienced sexual abuse or assault in New Zealand, including visitors to the country, can get help from us. We may also be able to help if you're a New Zealand resident and have experienced sexual assault or abuse while travelling overseas.

If you're not sure if this includes you, we encourage you to still seek support. If it turns out that you're not eligible for help, your first sessions will still be free and we can help you to find other help. You will not be charged for any sessions you have already had.

Talking with a therapist can help you understand what's going on and look at practical ways to deal with it.

It doesn't matter if the event happened recently or a long time ago. You don't need to have told anyone or have reported it to the Police. There's support available when you're ready.

Help for children and young people

If you're seeking help on behalf of a child or young person, the organisation you're contacting can connect you with a therapist who has experience working with children and young people.

Help for family and whānau

There's support available for your family and whānau. This includes friends, parents, spouses, partners, siblings, flatmates and any other people supporting you.

They can get support sessions to help:

  • educate them about the effects of sexual abuse and assault
  • process what's happened
  • identify coping strategies
  • work out ways to deal with younger clients' behavioural changes.

Your therapist will work with you to identify what support your family and whānau may need.

They'll only be involved if you want them to be.